If you’re a regular Whole Foods Market shopper, you know that one of the draws is the prepared foods. You’ve got your tuna salad, spinach salad, prepared veggie burgers, pasta salads, fried chicken. What? Fried chicken at Whole Foods? I’ve seen it and it proves that just because it’s at Whole Foods Market doesn’t mean it’s healthy.
I was on the hunt to try a new salad and the friendly deli guy pointed out the only no-oil option. He called it “Hippie Salad” because ‘it originated in California and has a bunch of healthy things in it.’. It’s actually called California Quinoa Salad.
As part of my ongoing effort to re-create recipes, I made this one to my own tastes, tweaking it a bit and the final product was a fresh, cold salad that is filling as a meal or perfect as a side dish. As temperatures hit the 100s this week, I may bring this recipe back into the rotation.
“Hippie Salad” (Adapted Whole Foods Market California Quinoa Salad)
1-2 cups cooked quinoa (any color)
1, 10 oz. bag of frozen, shelled edamame
1 mango (if available, use a champagne mango)
1-2 peppers – red, yellow, orange – chopped
Juice of 1 lime
Splash of balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup almonds (chopped)
Cilantro, salt, and pepper to taste
1. Cook quinoa and edamame according to directions; drain (both separately).
2. In a large bowl combine juice of 1 lime, balsamic vinegar, cilantro, salt, pepper and set aside.
3. Chop mango and peppers, add to bowl with the dressing made in #2.
4. Now add quinoa and edamame into bowl, mix all together.
5. Add raisins and almonds, mix again.
6. Refrigerate to let flavors blend.
7. Eat and enjoy!
What’s your favorite go-do dish during hot weather?