Happy Valentine’s Day. Are you wearing red today in honor of February 14th and American Heart Month?
Did you know that love is good for your heart? Giving and receiving love–from a significant other, friend, family member, or 4-legged friend–is beneficial for your heart.
5 Ways Love Helps Your Heart:
1. Reduces stress–researchers at Bar-Ilan University in Israel found that the emotional support from love can decrease the development of stress. (Source)
2. Keeps you motivated–being in love and having close bonds keeps you motivated to stay fit and healthy and be a supportive partner and friend to your loved ones.
3. Boosts longevity–Dr. Dean Ornish found that being in a healthy, loving relationship increases longevity as much as five times over those who aren’t. And it doesn’t have to just be with a partner; community service can have the same effects. (Source)
4. Minimizes bad habits–people in close relationships are less likely to smoke and more likely to exercise. You want to try to minimize the bad habits.
5. Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol–male pet owners have less sign of heart disease — lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels — than non-owners and heart attack patients who have a pet survive longer than those who do not. (Source)
Today, and everyday, hug a loved one, laugh with a friend, hug and pet your dog. Your heart will thank you.
Happy Valentine’s Day! Currently I’m wearing pink (as usual) but I love your little notes on everything! ^^
As I ran in my pjs and winter boots to retrieve Reilly (yellow lab) who decided to wander down the street at 6 AM this morning, hugs, pets, and kisses were not on the top of my list for him!
I love it! I’ve heard some before, but not “minimizes bad habits.” That kinda makes sense because I drag my husband to the gym!! 🙂
I completely agree with this! Love is necessary to live a happy, healthy life; what a magical thing it is!
I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you on my blog for a Liebster Award. I love your posts and advice!
Thanks for the reminder to spread love—of all kinds—to those around us. 🙂