Gym pet peeves and rules are a hot topic as more people join gyms at the start of a new year.
Yesterday TODAY Show Health asked Twitter followers : What’s YOUR biggest gym pet peeve? Messy weight rooms? Dudes who GRUNT! when weight lifting? Tell us with the hashtag
– people who sit on a machine and read without really working out
– not being able to get a parking spot or treadmill in January when the resolution folks hit the gym
– people who don’t wipe down machines (this one seemed to have hit a nerve with most folks)
– people who smoke outside of the entrance
My quick reply of gym pet peeves: stinky feet at yoga, swimmers who leave puddles throughout the locker room (my wicking socks are good, but not that good!), and the people who will glare at you if you take their “spot” at a group class. I certainly have my “favorite” bike that I try and get when I go to a Spin class, but I always look at the opportunity to try a new bike as an opportunity to experience the class from a different point of view!
Last week Thursday, Jason Gay wrote a funny piece in the Wall Street Journal called The 27 Rules of Conquering the Gym. A few of my favorites:
– No one in the history of gyms has ever lost a pound while reading “The New Yorker” and slowly pedaling a recumbent bicycle. No one.
– Yes, every gym has an over-enthusiastic Spinning instructor who hasn’t bought a record since “Walking on Sunshine”.
– You can take 10 Minute Abs, 20 Minutes Abs, and 30 Minute Abs. There is also Stop Eating Pizza and Eating Sheet Cake Abs–but that’s super tough. (On this one, I have to disagree with ‘stop eating pizza’…pizza can be healthy!
There are 24 additional Rules…all highly entertaining and oh so true.
It’s helpful to have the gym membership, but it’s also relaxing to have the at-home workout option…especially when I get to practice yoga with my Yoga Buddies watching my every move.
What’s your biggest gym pet peeve?
TODAY Show Health and Jason Gay are on Twitter: @todayshowhealth, @jasonWSJ.
Great yoga partners! Please add men who stare at you while you work out to the list.
The only thing I think that really bothers me is people holding on to the treadmills while they are walking/running. I don’t know why, but that just rubs me the wrong way! I’m like! LET GO!!!
I agree with that one! Although I have a “trekking” workout that I do on the treadmill and when the incline gets pretty steep and the speed increases, sometimes I have to quickly grab on – it’s that or wear the goofy plastic clip 🙂
Pingback: Monday Announcements: 1.23.12 | Healthy Living Blogs
I hold on to the treadmill sometimes just because I am super clumsy and have fallen and busted my face before. =\
We all have our own pet peeves, but I also think it’s important to remember that the gym can be an intimidating place! We should try and cut people some slack. Check out my post: Gym Etiquitte for Resolutionists http://www.livebreathehuzzah.com/2012/01/03/mr-huzzah-gym-etiquette-for-the-resolutionist/ Circulate it. You might have less to be peeved about 🙂
Pingback: Sunday Search | Apples and Arteries